Wadelai ELC – Uganda
Wadelai is a registered co-operative society with commissioner of cooperative Ministry of trade and Commerce in Uganda. The Empowerment learning Centre (ELC) is registered with the sub-county local Government to operate as an ELC which is a department within the cooperative Society.
The Empowerment learning centre(ELC) is located in Ojigo East village Mutir parish Wadelai sub county Pakwach District, West Nile, Uganda, 55km from Nebbi Town.
Purpose of the ELC:
• Advocate for the rights of youth, women and people living with disabilities who are in vulnerable situations, including sensitization on sanitation and household management
• To empower women, men and youth in the rural community to take the lead to address gender injustice at house hold level and community at large
• To provide training, support, outreach and learning for outsiders who want to learn GALS
• Training farmers on agricultural practices, bulking and marketing produce of farmers in the value chain of Sesame, Rice and Cassava, and sensitizing people in the community on cross cutting issues like climate change, HIV/AIDS, gender based violence and conflict resolution and management.
The members of the ELC have about a decade of experience with GALS. We mainly use GALS as part of our Wadelai cooperative to improve the position of our farmers in the sesame, rice and cassava value chains. We interact with input dealers, processors, traders and larger buyers. We also use GALS to improve our savings and credit function, and the organizational development of our cooperative as a whole.
The main services provided by Wadelai ELC are:
• Hosting local, National and international learners on GALS Methodology at the ELC.
• Train households, community members, Community base Organizations (CBOs), NGOs, Small and medium entrepreneurs (SME), INGOs, IFAD partners, local Government staff and also provide outreach on GALS through champions based on demand from the clients.
• Peer to peer replication is happening from those who are trained by the champions as a result of changes that has been seen on them by community members and these are taking place with the households, extended families, friends and in-laws.
• Certification of GALS champions.
If you are an IFAD project (or any other stakeholder) looking for GALS expertise in the region where Wadelai ELC operates, please contact us through using the following contact details:
Organisation contact: contact CEFORD through the Uganda national page
ELC contact: Wpmcsl@yahoo.com (+256782147503 or +256770607990 Olony Geoffrey and Aciro Teddy +256784904883).