NAFA is a registered co-operative society with commissioner of cooperative Ministry of trade and Commerce in Uganda and their Empowerment learning Centre (ELC) is registered with the sub-county local Government to operate as an ELC which is a department within the cooperative Society.
The ELC is located 15 km from Arua town in Yiapi village, Ayavu parish, Vurra sub county Arua District, West Nile, Uganda.
The members of the ELC have about a decade of experience with GALS in Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) and bulking, value addition and marketing of crops and products made of beans and cassava. NAFA has interacted with many different stakeholders from public and private sector over the years and has a dedicated group of champions.
The purposes of the ELC are:
• To empower women, men and youth to address gender injustice at the household and rural community levels through training, peer sharing and role plays;
• To provide training, support and outreach to outsiders who want to learn the GALS methodology;
• Training farmers on good agricultural practices, enhancing and marketing produce of farmers;
• Advocate for the rights of vulnerable people e.g. youth, women and PWDs, including sensitization of sanitation and household management.
The services provided by Nafa ELC are:
• Hosting local, National and international learners on GALS Methodology at the ELC.
• Train households, community members, Community base Organizations (CBOs), NGOs, Small and medium entrepreneurs (SME), INGOs, IFAD partners, local Government staff and also provide out reaches on GALS through champions base on demand from the clients.
• Peer to peer replication is happening by those who are trained by the champions. This is a result of the changes in gender relations and livelihoods that other community members can see. Peer replication is taking place within the households, extended families, friends groups and in-laws.
If you working for an IFAD project (or any other stakeholder) looking for GALS expertise in the region where NAFA ELC operates, please contact us directly using the following details:
+256782084755 Draniga Leo or Zawadi Esther +256789865299.
You can also contact CEFORD through the Uganda national page.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.